26 Jul Wrap up this winter
Throws, blankets and scarves are not only functional but the perfect solution to add warmth this winter
With the drop in temperature, now is the time to warm up your home as we spend more time indoors.
And Sharon Fihrer, co-founder of iconic interior design company Head Interiors, says just like the trend towards layering ourselves with accessories like scarves to keep the winter chill at bay, our homes will benefit by adding a few extra layers through throws and blankets.
Here are Sharon’s five tips for selecting the right throws and blankets for your home:
1. Touch – A mixture of textures makes things visually interesting, and when it comes to throws or scarves, use the touch test to select the right fabric. Seek out items with fibres which feel warm and luxurious against the skin like cashmere, lambs wool or 100% wool.
2. Ensure that you get the dimensions right. A good throw should measure 1.4m x 200cm to fit across the bottom of the bed – and that’s also a great size to throw over your legs on a cool evening.
3. Play with different tones and textures – With the winter sun a little duller, introduce colour into the room through a carefully placed throw or two to warm up your space. Neatly fold a throw lengthwise over a chaise, or casually throw a textured blanket over a chair to create a warm and welcoming mood.
4. Dress up your furnishings – Achieve an instant makeover to your much-loved sofa by adding a decorative throw to make it look fresh and new. Throws and blankets can also create a great contrast to a neutral background.
5. Throw out the rule book– No need to take the safe approach when introducing a blanket into your home. Unexpected colour combinations add vibrancy and depth to a living space. And if your aesthetic does lean towards a more understated style, explore different textures from finer gauges and open weave fabrications, interesting details such as suede finishes and patterns such as herringbone to add luster.